.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

World Cup 2006

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Just watched a great doco on SBS about England's World Cup history. You forget after a while how good some of theose games actually were. Like hitting the woodwork in extra time against the Germans in 1990, Shilton stumbling backwards after the lucky deflection, Psycho's penalty kick, Gazza's tears. Wonderful times.

There was something special about football in the 90's for me. Perhaps because that's when I started having distinct World Cup memories of my own rather than from replays (although Platt's extra time 1986 goal against Belgium is probably my earliest memory - I was sat at home in our living room and sepcifically remember jumping out of the chair when he turned under Gazza's cross and guided it home. I was on my own, the rest of the family didn't like football, and I was too young to be in the pub at that stage). Or perhaps it's because I was always a massive Lineker and Gazza fan (the Spurs connection helped) or perhaps because of Euro '96, I mean come on. That was the best tournament of all time, World Cups included. I don't think football for me will ever have a better decade than the 90's.

Now I feel all nostalgic. Game of Twister anyone?

3 Comments:

  • Dude, David Platt's last minute goal v Belgium was 1990.

    By Blogger astronaut, at 2:45 am  

  • S**t, ok well that just goes to show how muddied my memory of the whole experience has become.

    Of course it was 1990, that was the game before the German semi. I know I know. Rudimentary mistake, especially this close to the World Cup.

    My place on the wc2006 Blogger team may have been jeapordised as a result.

    By Blogger stefan drury, at 1:12 pm  

  • I remember "My Summer with Des", a Euro 96-based telly drama. It had the loevly Rachel Weisz in it.

    By Blogger astronaut, at 11:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

This blog has been thoroughly enjoyed by sports fans